Thursday, August 12, 2010

Great post

My friend, Sylvia, over at Christian Homekeeper wrote a great blog called Sit Down At The Table.
This article reminded me of good times and sad times.
The good times are holiday meals with friends and family as In my next relationship I remember early on we would sit at a table to eat but mostly and eventually suppers took place in the living room watching tv. Sometimes it didn't even take place in the same rooms. My daughter and I would eat in one room together and my bf, at the time, would eat in a different room. After many changes I found myself in a relationship with a great man (my husband) and his family. It was expected that supper was to take place around the table. It was great. I could feel the love as even though every one was stressed and rushed we made the effort to get together at this time. We would sometimes have music on sometimes nothing in the background. We would have 3 different generations at the table. My mother and father in law, my daughter and Frankie's little cousin (who is like a daughter to us) and Frankie and I. We would just talk. Talk about what the girls did in school. What was going on at the different places of employment. There was a lot of laughter and silliness. Even Mario (who doesn't know he is a dog) literally sat at the table in his own chair.
Now as my husband and I (and The Monkey) have moved out we make sure to sit at the table for our meals. Not just supper. We even eat lunch and breakfast at the table. Sometimes with background noise. Most times without it. (BTW the table that we now sit at as a family is the exact same table we sat at as a family with my in-laws.)
As our family continues to grow I look forward to the family and holiday suppers at our table.







"make sure you keep it between the navigational beacons."

2 comments:

  1. I need to start sitting at the table with the kids. Now that I am working through dinner, I am not usually home unless it is the weekend. I really need to be better at setting this limit and having us all eat as a family now so that we are in te habit while the kids are still little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weekends are a great time eat at the table. When the kiddos are a little older you can even have them help set the table. The Monkey used to love setting the table for supper when she was little.

    ReplyDelete